Other Stories

Military faces challenge to malpractice shield

Associated Press, April 22, 2011  

The Feres Doctrine Horror Show

Salem News, March 10, 2010


Military Medical Mistake Disfigures Local Airman

CBS 11/TXA 21, July 17, 2009  

Airman Loses Legs in Botched Gallbladder Surgery, Future of Career Uncertain
A Texas Airman stationed at an Air Force Base near Sacramento, Calif. has lost both legs after surgeons reportedly botched a routine surgery to remove his gallbladder.
Monday, July 20, 2009

Tashya and Paul Lucas lost their 5 month old baby Hans Ernst Lucas.

Go to for their story.

Sgt. Carmelo Rodriguez
CBS Evening News, January 30, 2008
Each year several military families inquire about medical malpractice against the federal government. But a 1950's law prevents them from the same justice offered to civilians. Byron Pitts reports.


A Question Of Care: Military Malpractice?

One Marine Served His Country With Care. Was His Cancer Misdiagnosed, Leading To His Death?

Military Death Sparks Outcry

CBS Evening News, May 20, 2008 

The family of Marine Sergeant Carmelo Rodriguez claims a military doctor misdiagnosed his cancer leading to his death. But, for now, the military cannot be sued for malpractice. Byron Pitts reports.

Outrage Over Soldier's Cancer

CBS Evening News, May 20, 2008 

Sgt. Carmelo Rodriguez died when army doctors failed to diagnose his melanoma. Byron Pitts speaks with Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D.-N.Y.) who is now fighting to change a military medical doctrine.


Hi, my name is Linda, and my son Jeremy died in June of 2006 while serving in South Korea. He had a bad cold, after returning from field maneuvers of 30 days. He went to a doctor on base, and they sent him to the military medical hospital in Youngson, Korea, where he was admitted for pneumonia. A nurse told him the next day, that he could go back to base. 3 officers saw him, and said he was in bad shape, as they helped him figure out a bus route back to base on a Friday. He rode a public bus for 2 hours. When his sergeant saw him returning, he told him he looked bad, and to go to bed for the weekend. On Monday, when he didn't show for muster, they went looking for him. They found him in bed, and his room smelled bad, where he couldn't even get the bathroom, to throw up. They life-flighted him back to the hospital, as he had developed endocarditis.

When they called us, he had been life-flighted to Samsong medical hospital and was undergoing a heart valve replacement, as the bacteria had "grown" on his valve, and his heart had stopped 6 times. They never gave him an antibiotic while he was in the hospital; they gave him aspirin and ibuprofen. We got to South Korea after a 14 hour flight, after they had told me they didn't know if he was going to live through the surgery. When I, my older son and my daughter got to the hospital, Jeremy was in a coma. His kidneys had shut down, due to the mass infection he had. He was on life support the first time I saw him, in the hospital. He was in a coma for 2 1/2 weeks, before his body started to react to the medicine. He actual had giant black spots on his skin, where this "mold" was coming out of his body. They had more needles in him, then I had ever seen in one body. They hit a nerve in his ankle, so he had permanent nerve damage in his foot. He was being fed through tubes, was on oxygen, and a machine that breathed for him.

I stayed with him for a month, in Youngson, South Korea, alone, as the Army sent my other 2 children home. We got to Korea on Jeremy's 22 birthday, Oct 5th, and the army sent Jeremy and I by plane, to Hawaii, on Nov 16th. I was with him in Hawaii, where he continuously passed out on me, when going to doctor visits. They took a sonogram of his heart after we got to Hawaii, which showed his heart valve wasn't working correctly. 40% of the blood going through was back-washed back into the chamber it came out of. I was taking care of him in the Fisher house, having to give him shots in his stomach area of blood thinners, so his level would come up. Then the Army said it was taking too long, so he was ordered to a med-hold unit (the filthiest building I have ever seen, one example was mold growing in the only drinking fountain they had for these soldiers). Then they told me my orders were up, I had to go home. I threw a fit, but they would not change it. 6 months later, while still waiting for a captain to complete his discharge, he died while walking up a steep hill to work at a Military Gym by himself, as he was "filling in" for some soldiers on Father's Day so they could be with their families. I contacted 6 lawyers, but because of the Feres doctrine, I couldn't do anything about this outright medical neglect. The Army wouldn't help him get to the gym, knowing full well of his condition and valve replacement. They would laugh at me, when I tried, while back in Ohio to call there and want to talk to someone who could help me. I should have "kidnapped" my own son, and brought him back, where there were doctors who knew what they were doing. And yes, so many soldiers involved in his care, were promoted. I could not believe it. And our military said they were promoted honorably. It made me sick!

I am sorry this is so long, but I have lived with this for 2 years now, and it hurts so bad that I had to leave him to those butchers. I should have never been lied to, and made to believe I had to leave. I was the only one taking real care of him, no one else cared. But the Army scared me, yelling as they do, to get their point accepted. And they wonder why I am still upset, when I have all the documented proof of what they did.


An Ohio teenager's case illustrates how a flawed medical system can change a life


Understaffing, poor records management and the constant shuffling of personnel in military hospitals and clinics undermines continuity of care


The Man in the White Coat is No Doctor

The Military Vaccine Resource Directory 
Veterans Equal Rights Protection Advocacy, Inc.
VA Watchdog dot org

You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
Malcolm X